So, the big day is fast approaching! And, to me, that means food as much as football. I’m very excited to try this new recipe I’ve concocted. It’s a little twist on the tradition 7-layer dip, the biggest of which is that it is completely dairy-free.
- 16 oz refried beans (I used refried black beans)
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix or just under 1/4 cup
- 8 oz Tofutti (or any other dairy-free) sour cream
- 2-3 large avocados
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped green chilis
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh cilantro (or parsley if preferred)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) package corn tortilla chips
- Spread the bean dip across the bottom of a rectangular baking dish (mine was 7 1/2 x 11 inch, but I suspect you could use the standard 9 x 13).
- In a small mixing bowl combine the sour cream and taco mix; mix well.
- Spread the sour cream mixture over the beans.
- Layer the chilis, tomatoes, green onions and corn over the sour cream.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until warm.
- Mash the avocados with lime juice and spread over layer dip. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.
Now, considering this is the Super Bowl, I couldn’t resist the urge to get creative. So, here’s what I intend to do in order to turn the layer dip into a football field.
4 pretzel rods, cut in halves
dairy-free icing (see next post for dairy-free, egg-free recipe)
extra dairy-free sour cream
Take cut pretzel rods and assemble into goal posts, using a bit of frosting to “glue” ends together. Let sit. Once hardened, place through avocado layer. Place 2-3 tablespoons of extra sour cream in plastic sandwich bag. Cut small tip of corner from bag and squeeze sour cream through hole to pipe lines onto the “football field.”
Now serve. And, go team!