A huge THANK YOU to Rachel Alexandra of the fantastic blog, Roots, for nominating Allergy Shmallergy for the Brotherhood of the World Blogger Award. What an exciting way to round out a crazy week!
As part of the process of accepting this award, nominees answer questions. [See additional rules and nominees below.]
1. What is your biggest regret?
That’s a tough one. One of the things I regret is not taking more time to travel before I had kids. I’ve lived overseas multiple times and really enmeshed myself in local culture. But I’d love to have spent time in Africa or South Asia while I was living relatively nearby. I guess the kids will have to pack their bags because I’m not done roaming!
2. What is something that your younger self would be most proud of about you?
Great question! Hm… I think my younger self would be proud to know I’ve been bold about pursuing my passions. For example, when I was younger, I wanted to be a writer – now look what I’m doing!
3. What is your favorite fruit and why?
(I love these questions!) Raspberries and summer ripe blueberries are irresistible to me. And, it’s hard not to DROOL over kiwi. Hairy on the outside and sweet, emerald deliciousness on the inside… Mmmm…!
4. If you could play any instrument, what would you play? (Or what can you play?)
I used to play the flute – and wish I had played for longer. But I still play the piano! Now, I just wish I could sing (at all) and play at the same time! Piano takes concentration!
5. What setting from a book or movie would you like to live in or experience?
That’s easy! Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory. What I wouldn’t do for an hour in that edible room with the chocolate river!
6. Why did you start blogging?
I started writing as a way to find a like-minded food allergy community to connect with. When you get any kind of diagnosis, you tend to feel alone in the world. When you can relate to someone else’s journey, it can sometimes take the stress out of your own.
7. What is something you’re looking forward to?
There’s so much to look forward to over the next year! One thing I’m working on is getting my organization, AllergyStrong, up and running. AllergyStrong is an organization that revolutionizes food allergy information in education, psychosocial impact and advocates on behalf of all patients with food allergies, but particularly for those at-risk and low-income families who could use the additional support.
8. If job availability/money were not factors, what would be your dream occupation?
A ballroom dancer! It’s harder than it looks and is so elegant when done well. I’ve taken ballroom dancing from the time I was about 10 through college.
I’d also love to be a television/movie writer or a documentary film maker. I love storytelling and think very visually.
9. If you could start any charity, what would it be?
I’m starting one: AllergyStrong!
10. Name a skill you want to learn and why.
I’d love to really learn how to figure skate. I always played around with it as a kid and never lost that amazing sensation of gliding and spinning on ice. It was invigorating!
I’d also like singing lessons… Ooo, and horse back riding! Tap dancing… Speaking Italian… I’ve clearly got to get cracking; I have a lot to catch up on!
The Brotherhood of the World Blogger Award
I nominate these excellent bloggers, whose work is inspiring, insightful and on my short list of must-reads:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and post a link to his/her blog.
- List the rules of the award and post a picture of the award.
- Answer the questions from your nominator.
- Nominate other bloggers and be sure to let them know.
- Write a list of questions of your nominees to answer.
Questions for Nominees:
- Where do you get inspiration for your blog/writing?
- If there are past lives, who were you/what was your profession?
- What song brings back a strong memory each time you hear it?
- What’s your hidden talent?
- What makes you feel grateful?